Brief: A quick and easy, low-calories cocktail that looks like it would cost $8.00 at a restaurant but really is pretty cheap to make.
Makes: 5 cocktails
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 cup fresh whole blueberries
- 2 tablespoons of honey (sub w/ 1 tablespoon sugar if needed)
- 1/2 oz lemon juice (fresh squeezed – 1 lemon)
- 2 1/2 cups of blueberry juice (recommend Just Blueberry from Trader Joe’s – no added sugars, flavors, etc.)
- 1 bottle dry sparkling white wine (or Vodka is a great sub)
- mash the blueberries, minced ginger, honey, and lemon juice together
- add blueberry juice and ice (if the juice is cold enough, it’s OK with out ice).
- mix and let sit for 5-10 minutes
- strain the juice and pour 3 or 4 ounces into champagne glasses (the glass should be about 1/3 full)
- top it off with the dry sparkling white wine
- if you’re fancy, add some blueberries in. they’ll float!
This is a good option for a dinner party. The drier the sparking white wine, the lower the calories. Dry white wine, in general, is one of the lowest calorie drink options (around 60 calories a serving). Vodka actually makes a great substitute for the wine if you’re looking for more of a kick; serve it martini-style.
Again, I use the Trader Joe’s pure blueberry juice because it doesn’t have gross additives that inflate the calories and make you feel worse in the morning (not to mention, just more natural).